Information for Visiting Sailors
Getting to the Annapolis Area
Annapolis is reachable from any of the area airports:
- Baltimore Washington Airpot (BWI) is a 30 minute drive
- Reagan National Airport (DCA) is a 60 minute drive
- Dulles International Airport (IAD) is a 90 minute drive
AMTRAK is available from BWI Airport
- From the Northeast, use US-301 on the Eastern Shore to avoid I-95 traffic and tolls in Maryland.
- From the South, use I-495 (Capital Beltway) and avoid downtown Washington DC. The worst rush hour traffic is 6-9 AM and 3-6 PM. Take US 50 to Annapolis.
Trailering your boat:
- Self-Trailered: Directions to local marinas from US 50 are provided next to the marina in Launching section below. Do not take your boat through downtown Annapolis via Rowe Blvd, West St (SR-450) or Solomon's Island Rd (SR-2). There are numerous height and turning restrictions. Utilize Aris T Allen Blvd (SR-665) to get to marinas located on Back Creek and Spa Creek.
- Professional Marine Transport Services: Cooky's Marine Transport 401-864-3705
- From North. Cape May – Delaware Bay - Chesapeake & Delaware Canal (C&D) – Chesapeake Bay – Annapolis.
- Cape May - To take a break go thru Cape May cut (make sure you have a good chart because it gets tricky on the Delaware Bay side) Charts: Cape May Harbor , Cape May Canal , Tides
- C&D Canal - The current thru the canal is 2.5-3 kts so time your passage so the current goes with you. There is only one height restriction on the canal; the Conrail draw bridge located about 3 miles west of St. Georges. The bridge is usually up except for passing train traffic. The bridge operator can be reached via VHF (channel displayed on bridge) to open. Schaeffer's restaurant at Chesapeake City is a good stopping point for food, fuel, or overnight stay (410) 885-2200 . Charts: C&D Canal , Tides , Current .
- From South. Beware of fish traps, especially at night. There are fishing nets anchored by wooden poles with a steel cable top line. They range from 200 to 800 yards long and are generally perpendicular to the shore. They are typically close to the shore and are not on listed on charts.
These are a few of the full/limited service marinas located in the area that have launching capability.
- Muller Marine 410-626-1238
Location: Back Creek. Maps and Trailer Directions
Capabilities: Launching, stepping, rigging. No slips or land storage.
For inquiries and reservations contact Bobby Muller (number above)
- Jabin's Yacht Yard 410-268-9667
Location: Back Creek
Capabilities: Full service (Launching, stepping, rigging, slips, and land storage, etc)
For inquiries and reservations contact Rod Jabin or Rebecca (number above)
- Eastport Yacht Center 410-280-9988
Location: Back Creek
Capabilities: Launching and stepping. No rigging, slips, or land storage
- Whitehall Yacht Yard 410-336-3560
Location: Whitehall Creek (North side of Severn River). Maps and Directions
Capabilities: Launching, stepping, rigging. No slips or land storage
Stout Marine Enterprises 410-263-7670
Chesapeake Rigging 410-268-0956
Transient Slips and Moorings: